Thursday, November 6, 2008

Time flies when you are so busy you can hardly see straight!

Well October came and went with so many things happening it's hard to fill everyone in. Justin and I barely saw eachother! Who knew a month could pass by so quickly??!?!
I have been working at Gold's Gym for a little each week, but have decided to take some time off to ensure that I finish the semester with flying colors. One can't chance a bad semester when they are GRADUATING. Finally. One more part-time semester to go!
The month really started off with the Metropolitan Opera Nation Council Auditions in Spokane, WA. My teacher and I flew out and spent four whirl-wind days in Spokane. We had a blast and the audition went well. I did some of the best singing I have ever done. EVER. I didn't place this year, but the performance was well worth the experience. People may not agree, but the competition wasn't about winning for me. I competed last year and came away with a boat loat of regrets and "should-a, could-a, would-a's". All I wanted to do was have a performance that I could be proud of. I did that. And it turned out that I had some incredible compliments from three different professors from three different schools. Each separately congratulated me and said that I was their number one pick. I can handle that. :)
Justin was able to sneak away for a total of 24 hours to go hunting this year (two 12 hour stints). He didn't get anything this time, but was grateful for the chance to get out for a bit. He's decided that Nursing is a field that is much more difficult than he had anticipated. I've never seen a man study like that in my life. All day everyday. I'm quite impressed. He's learning the in's and out's of the business and how to cut through the red tape that he needs to. Plus, he's just the cutest thing in scrubs!
Then we (meaning ISU) hosted the Annual High School Invitational. I helped Dr. Anderson organize and run the event and it was a smashing success. We had 273 total high school students in the Festival Choir this year. They were an incredible group to work with. We couldn't have asked for a better experience with them. In previous years was had such huge numbers as 450 and nearly 600 students in the choir. We decided to limit the number of students this year and it turned out to be a huge success. Dr. Jerry Blackstone of the University of Michigan was the clinician and I was very pleased to get to know him a bit. I wanted to pick his brain a little about his univeristy (grad school is loooming), but we didn't really get the chance. What I do know is that he heard me sing in a little solo for about 30 seconds and wanted me to seriously look into Michigan. I was exstatic!!
Well, I'm sure there is more news that I am leaving out, but I'll just come back and write more when I think of it. We're on to November and before we know it, it will be Christmas! HOORAY!

3 comments:

The Meredith's said...

MICHIGAN?!?!? Nope, sorry, Michigan is out of the question! We gave up Spokane for you! Really, I'm joking...that's is so exciting. What a huge compliment.

DaLynn said...

Ahhhh, the life of a student! I am glad those days are over!! It was good to see you on Sunday, even though it was very brief...
Loves

Kristen said...

I love that picture of you and Garrison on the side of your page!! Hope you are doing well! I sure miss talking to you! Take care!