Saturday, September 24, 2011

A New World

Time passes. Of this I am 100% certain.  The trouble is when one is certain of a fact, plausible deniability is no longer available to that person.  I am coming up on a new decade. I will turn thirty in 4 days and to say that I have wished for plausibly deniability would be an understatement. I have willed the day away, wished the day away, even ceased from saying the dreaded number so as to be able to deny it's offending presence. But the truth is, Time Passes.

Well this evening as I was brooding over the looming death day deadline, I had a most wonderful surprise.  A dear friend came over to shoot the breeze for a few minutes as it's been a long time we've chatted.  We sat and talked while the boys played and I just reminded myself how good life is. Then I headed to another girlfriend's house where she was hosting a craft night. I pulled in the driveway and noticed a beautiful spread of food and some strung lights and thought, "Wow! She really went all out for this like I would had I hosted this."  I passed Kyler off to her husband (the dedicated babysitter of the evening) and began walking over to the group.  It was then that I heard something that brought me to tears.  "SURPRISE!!!!!"  There stood all fo my dearest friends. They had thrown me the very party I would have thrown myself : "30 Sucks".  Lollipops everywhere, signs, banners, a lollipop pathway, food, cake and most of all friends. So many friends. Even now as I write this, I'm tearing up.  They had arranged with Justin the date and time and even though he threw a kink in the works by going fishing instead of keeping me occupied and bringing me to the party, the surprise went off without a hitch!  I had no idea and was so genuinely surprised by it all I burst into tears.  These friends knew enough that I was having a hard time, but they had no idea I was hurting right then.  How I love these women!

We sat and talked and as the evening wore on, lit a fire to stay warm.  We shared stories and giggled like school girls. When they brought out the cake I had a momentary lapse in gaiety as I saw all the candles. But then the sight of all those women there to support me and love me through this reminded me that this new decade will be a good one.  I stood in front of the cake while they sang and made my wish. In the past, my wishes always contained a wish for some present or "thing" I was hoping for. Tonight, I simply wished to have friends like this for the rest of my life. One could never go wrong with a wish like that. I blew out the candles (with a little help from friends) and the merriment continued.  We talked into the night and giggled at all the cars that would drive by to see what the hubbub was about. We shared stories and love and by the end of the evening, I wore a smile that will continue for days.

Thank you, Sisters. I love you!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

awwwwwwwwww...so sweet...I would have been there but it's my son's birthday and couldn't go but I thought of you and wish you a great surprise

Ari Anna Johnson said...

Best surprise party ever! Love you Tiff

Hammer Agency said...

So, so awesome!! Wish I could have been their to celbrate with you!